CWP Classes & Firearms Training Serving the Greater Columbia, SC Area

Call Us



Home / Faq

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I go to get fingerprinted and submit my SLED CWP applications?

In 2019, SLED launched a new CWP application processing system that will allow applicants for a NEW SC CWP to begin the application online and set up an appointment at an available IdentoGo site. At the IdentoGo site they can submit their CWP application documentation and have their fingerprints taken and sent to SLED electronically. SLED will continue to process all submitted applications received from the IdentoGo appointments made online and any applications made by mail.

Are there any firearms prohibited by Safe Family Defense?

The following gun brands or models are not permitted for use. No Hi-Point, no Lorcin, no Standard Arms, no Jennings, no Bryco, no JimenezArms, no Charter Arms, no Rohm, no AMT .380 Backup, no Remington R51, no Diamondback DB380, no Bersa Thunder 380CC, and no SCCY.

I passed the written exam, but did not pass the shooting qualification. Can I retake the shooting qualification?

Yes, you have one chance to retry the shooting qualification after you have attained the skillsets required to qualify. There is a $25 fee for this service. In order to pass the CWP shooting qualification, the student needs to exhibit proficiency in handling and operating a handgun as well as score 70% with a standard B27 target. 

Does the class include a firearm or ammo?

Firearms and ammo are only included in Firearms Safety & Shooting Fundamentals. All other classes have firearms available to rent. Please indicate you need a rental upon enrollment if possible.

Do gift certificates have an expiration date or do they expire?

Gift certificates that are purchased never expire.

How long is the CWP class?

SC CWP & The Concealed Lifestyle typically runs from 8:00am to 5:30pm including a 30 minute break for lunch. Safe Family Defense covers much more material than the average local CWP class. That is what sets this class apart from the rest. Unlike other classes you may find, SC CWP & The Concealed Lifestyle actually prepares you for the concealed carry lifestyle and is why it may be longer than other classes. At times, range traffic and other unforeseen circumstances may cause the class time to go a tad over.

I am unable to make it to the class. Can I reschedule or get a refund?

Under normal circumstances, Safe Family Defense does not issue refunds. If at least five (5) days notice is given, you can reschedule to a different class. Tuition is transferable to someone else if you are unable to make the class. Please contact us to process a transfer.

I am a retired/former law enforcement officer. What training do I need to complete?

If you are retired from a law enforcement agency and have not maintained any type of certification or commission; or used to be a law enforcement officer who completed a state or federal training academy, you only need to complete the legal aspects portion of the CWP training by a certified South Carolina CWP instructor. You are only required to submit a copy of your LEO training certificate with your application to qualify. Also, you are exempt from paying the $50 fee. A listing of instructors is available on the SLED website under the Concealed Weapons Permit Program tab. If you still maintain a retired (HR-218) certification, you are exempt from training and are also exempt from the processing fee.

I am a retired law enforcement officer. Do I have to pay the CWP application fee?

There is no longer an application fee. This was abolished when the Open Carry law was passed.

Do I need a CWP to carry a Taser or pepper spray?

Pursuant to S.C. Code Ann. § 23-31-210(5), “Concealable weapon,” means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property. Tasers, pepper spray, and/or any other weapon not included in the definition above are not regulated by SLED.

I am a retired/former military member. What training do I need to complete?

Retired/former military members must complete only the legal aspects portion of the CWP training by a certified South Carolina CWP instructor. A listing of instructors is available on the SLED website, which is under the Concealed Weapons Permit Program tab. You are only required to submit a copy of your (DD 214) along with your application to qualify

I am an active duty member of the SCNG. What is required of me to apply for my expedited SCCWP?

In accordance with S.C. Code Ann. 23-31-210(g), members of the National Guard are exempt from the CWP Training; however, proof of current military service is required to be submitted along with the application as well as the following required items:

  • Copy of South Carolina driver’s license and a copy of your current government issued military identification card.
  • Two sets of fully completed, legible fingerprint cards
  • $50 application fee (must be certified check, cashier’s check, or money order)
  • Must have SCNG written on the top of the application, and mailed to:

SLED Regulatory Services
Attn: CWP/SCNGPO Box 21398Columbia, S.C. 29221 

Share this: